Thankfulness – Not Just A Temporary Thing!
Each year at Thanksgiving, we go around the table, talking about the things we are grateful for – as I know many do. This feeling of fortune and happiness often extends beyond the meal times because we leave the table not only full but also focussed on what we are happy about rather than all the things that aren’t working in our lives and I like it.
Being a part of a military family means you often have to go without – family, friends, homemade treats only certain people can make, etc. It got me to thinking that perhaps we should list things that we are grateful for each day until Christmas (or American Thanksgiving or New Years) and keep that feeling of gratitude for a little longer than at just one dinner or day.
This year I bought a second hand tablecloth from a thrift store. Each day we are going to write something on it that we are grateful for having had happened this year or something/someone in our lives that we are grateful for. Then we are going to use it as our Christmas or New Years table cloth – it will not only remind us of how lucky we are but there will be some great conversation starters in there too.
- Buy a material tablecloth (wash before using)
- Buy Sharpie Markers (all colours)
- Have a flat piece of cardboard under the cloth to ensure that if the marker goes through it isn’t on your countertop or table
- Commit to adding to it on a regular basis (have it on the table before meals or fold it into squares and place the cardboard underneath there is an exposed square for people to write on easily without taking the whole thing out
- After completed, throw into the dryer on high heat for 10-20mins, leave for 24 hours and then wash only in cold water (some people also recommend throwing a cup of salt into the cold water too)
- Use at your next big event/dinner!
For more information about our tips, books and resources go to: www.whileyouwereaway.org
Filed under: Military Family Support - Tips from the 101 Tips books, Re-integration Tips, Teen Tips, Tips for Educators and Deployment Support Workers | Tagged: deployment, family, fun, military, military families, reintegration, reunion, tablecloth, thanksgiving | Leave a comment »