Pamper Yourself – Tip #9
I am convinced that I didn’t write this tip during a deployment as finding the time to pamper myself has been somewhat of a joke. But I was determined to try and follow my own advice, even if it meant getting a pedicure and then coming home to clean the house. You may have also noticed that this tips spans three weeks. That is how long (even though some of it was over the holidays) it took me to carve out time to do things for myself.
I still believe in this tip but making the time to do things for yourself is NOT EASY! Having said this, it was so worth doing and something everyone should do regardless if you are experiencing a deployment or not.
My Tips & The Results:
* Get a Pedicure – I went with my best friend and I felt so good being pampered like that. Go to a place where they also have the massage chairs… so worth it!
* Get Your Hair Done – It feels so much better when I look in the mirror when all my grey isn’t staring back at me! It didn’t even matter that I had no where to go and that my kids didn’t even notice. I noticed and felt great.
* Go Shopping & Only Buy for Yourself – I think that this bit of advice may need some tweeking… when time is precious there was no way I was going to be in a mall and not pick up the other things my kids needed BUT I did go with the purpose of finding something I will feel great in. Got a fabulous sweater!
* Go for a Massage – Not going to lie… didn’t get to it. There really aren’t enough hours in a day BUT I did beg a few friends for a quick neck one and then booked one for a month’s time (something to look forward to).
* Get Dressed Up and Go to a Fancy Dinner – Over the holidays my goal was to see how many consecutive days I could year yoga type pants (no zipper and all comfort – I lasted 3 days!). Getting dressed up felt like another hassle so while we did go out to a nice place but I wouldn’t say any of us made too much of an effort with our appearance. Drying and brushing my hair was all the fancy they got! It was nice to go out to eat, to eat something that wasn’t fast food and not to have to shop for it, prepare it or clean up after it!
I am so glad that I chose this tip. When I looked at it I thought it was the perfect time to do it and that it would be easy. It was nothing short of miraculous that I made time for myself this holiday and I don’t regret a minute of it. I am really going to work on carving out a pampering time for myself each week – even if it is only to take a bath in silence or read (uninterrupted) for an hour. It doesn’t have to cost a lot but the benefits will keep on giving and giving.
For more information about our books, tips and resources go to: www.whileyouwereaway.org