Spaces – Tip #457
It never surprises me that I quickly take over many of my husband’s “spaces” when he is gone. I already sleep in the middle of the bed, have filled the closet with my clothes and moved in on his office space now – there seems to be no stopping me. I also have a tendency to be MUCH tidier than he is and clean up and throw out things without a second thought. This year I decided to not throw anything out but I did pack up some things that were just gathering dust. What I am going to have to try hard to remember is that when he gets back he needs to have places and spaces that are “his” too and that all the things he left are still there when he returns!
Before he gets back I will:
* Move out of places (like the office area he loves) that he uses daily or at least make it a shared space
* Put all the things that I “tidied” up (packed into buckets) back where I found them
* Start sleeping back on my side of the bed a month before he returns
* Make sure that there is plenty of closet space for him to ‘move back in’
* Make areas for his things, reorganize myself and create spaces that he can ‘fill’ comfortably
The bottom line is that I know that it is important for any returning family member to feel like they belong and ‘fit’ into their home and family’s life when they return and taking over all the entire house isn’t going to help at all with the already difficult task of reuniting.