Music – Tip #92
One of the things we had the most fun doing when my husband was going to be deployed was making CDs for the car, house and for the kids before he left. Music or hearing someone’s voice can evoke all sorts of feelings, sentiments, emotions. It makes absence, deployments, re-integrations or just military life in general just a little lighter and brighter.
When my friend was deployed she made a CD for each of her children to go to bed to each night. It was of soothing songs or ones that she loved. Each night the children would put on the CD and climb into bed, they told her they loved it and when she got back they wanted a new one. She also recorded her voice at the beginning of each CD to say something special to each of them. One of them was “We may be miles apart but my heart is with you”.
Another story that a neighbour shared with me was that when her son went away, before leaving, she asked him to download a pile of songs that she had always heard him playing around the house and while he was away she would put them on while making dinner or doing other things around the house. When she would write to him she would tell him what song she was listening to of his or a new one that had come out and she thought he might like! It was their way of making a connection.
* No matter what age your children, parents, girlfriend, wife, etc. make sure the CD is a mix of songs you like and songs they like. Make extra copies, in case they go missing, too.
* Send them list of the songs that you are enjoying at the moment and why
* Make a CD or file to download for them of all of the latest songs that have some out that they would love or ones that tell them you are glad that they are back
* Make themed CD’s or files – songs to say I love you, I miss you, I am proud of you, You are strong, etc.
* Have your family come up with as many as different songs that will tell the person away that you love them and then make a long list and send it to your loved one and listen to as many of them as possible
* Choose a theme song for your family or create your own family song with a familiar tune