10 Great Books for Military Families with Teens
I have chosen to include fiction, self help and non-fiction. These books are all intended to speak to teens in different ways. They cover topics that military teens have to deal with and other ones that are universal to teens everywhere. Each of these books have been used in the schools I work in or in my home with tremendous success!
- Wounded – Eric Walters (A fiction book about a man that comes back from Afghanistan with PTSD)
- 7 Habits for Highly Effective Teens – Sean Covey (A self-help/ non-fiction read that you can also get a workbook for. Every teen should read through this book at least once!)
- Flying Solo – Ralph Fletcher (A fiction book about a class that has a supply teacher not show up and what they all learn about themselves and each other)
- The Stress Reduction Workbook for Teens – Gina Beigel (An easy to read and complete workbook that has a lot of really effective strategies for helping teens to get balance and organize themselves)
- Three Cups Of Tea – Greg Mortesson (A non-fiction book to remind your kids about giving, appreciating what you have and accepting that with some failures comes incredible success that you wouldn’t have found otherwise)
- Jake Re-Invented – Gordon Korman (A fictional book about trying to re-invent yourself for all of the wrong reasons and how shallow others can be)
- 13, Thirteen Stories that Capture the Agony and Ecstasy of Being Thirteen – James Howe (Fictional short stories for any teenager with a focus on boys)
- The Maze Runner – James Dashner (A fictional story about teenagers that are put in a foreign place, with no memory and have to rely on themselves and each other to get out of it)
- 100 Ways to Shake Up Your Life – Gail Belsky (A self help book that will give teens ideas about goals they can set and achieve for themselves and look at the things that they do and don’t want to do)
- Today I Will – A Year of Quotes, Notes and Promises to Myself – Eileen and Jerry Spinelli (An inspirational/self help book for them to read each day, it is a page and not even a full one, that will inspire, give them food for thought and get them thinking about their lives, friends, behaviour, etc. )
If you would like more book suggestions of books please feel free to write to us at email@example.com. If you have suggestions of your own feel free to leave them here too!